Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Respect, its a two way street



Do you ever wonder why your teacher seems to only have eyes for the students that are "good"? Or is constantly yelling at you and getting frustrated over things that "aren't that big of a deal"? Assuming that your teacher doesn't just hate you and isn't just out to get you, maybe the problem is how you're acting during your class?

Lets play out a scenario from the teacher's perspective:
Student walks into the classroom, five minutes late, again, wearing clothing that hides their body and their hair is a wreck. They take a place at the barre, don't learn the combinations or take any corrections and scoff at everything that's been said as a general rule. Every time the teacher turns their back she's right back to talking or marking the combinations. At the end of class, the rest of the students line up and curtsy and say "thank you Ms Ivy." while she is just concerned about leaving. Walking up to their teacher she does a quick curtsy, mumbles thanks and goes off into her own little world.

Now lets play this out from the student's perspective:
Omg! I'm only five minutes late! Whats her problem? Its not like plie's are important, or anything. What is her problem with my hair? She obviously has no fashion sense what-so-ever and my hair is my problem, not her's. She'll get over it. OOOH!!! Amy's here, I'm gonna stand by her today! This combination is stupid, and I don't feel like doing this one either, because I'm tired. "Amy, did you see that new movie about that girl doing stuff?" Ugh!!! Why won't the Ms Ivy leave me alone let me talk to my friend during class? I already know I do this better than everyone else in the class, so I'm not going to keep working on it and I know she's not telling me to fix my arms, I'm the best one in the class! Oh Thank God class is over! I can't wait to go home and watch tv. I really don't think this was a good enough class for me to curtsy and thank Ms Ivy for...


What was the difference between the two perspectives? Although I can definately relate to both I still have to side with the teacher on this one. Respect is a serious issue all young people have at one point or another but it is always expected during a dance class. In the sacred world of Ballet, respect is demanded by your teacher and your peers.

Please, thank you, and excuse me are all incredibly important things to remember here, my lovelies!!!! Your ballet teacher is your only source of knowledge in this wonderful world. You must at least, give her the respect you want her to give to you and too be honest, quite a bit more. They've trained and worked for a very long time to become an instructor and help you learn the ropes.

I know it isn't standard practice for ballet schools to have each student individually thank their teacher by a curtsy at the end of class anymore, but its something I require at the end of mine. First of all, learning how to properly bow is really important for performances and second of all, your teacher put a lot of work into this class too, you know. Thanking her for her time is one of those small ways you can show her she's really, honestly and truly helping you.

When in doubt always ask yourself if you're following the following rules:

1: Keep talking to a minimum.

2: Always wear the appropriate dance clothes to each of your classes. (For more info on that check here)

3: Please, please, please, please, please remember your combinations!!!! The combination is designed to improve your technique and help cultivate your mind for more knowledge.

4: Don't ever mark a combination when its supposed to be done full out, you're only hurting yourself and no one wants to watch someone who doesn't appear like they even want to dance.

5: Yes Ma'am, no Ma'am, please, thank you, excuse me and a beautiful curtsy at the end of class are always appreciated ;)

I'll be working on a video log over the weekend with different exercises I do to warm myself up pre-performance. Thank you for reading, my lovelies! -Ms Ivy

No comments:

Post a Comment