Sunday, August 21, 2011

SYTYCD Choreographers

Hello my lovelies! I'm sure if you're a dancer you've seen So You Think You Can Dance and you've witnessed some very moving and touching pieces over the years. Where does it all begin? With a choreographer, coming up with a concept and executing it on dancers. I've found a few interviews from choreographers that have really touched me over the past few years and I'd like to share them with you.

Mia Micheals has been my hero since I first saw season 2's the bench dance. I absolutely adore her! She's very down to earth and no nonsense at the same time and a stunning women to boot! Her leaving the show actually had me in tears. (Finding out she doesn't have cancer made me feel better though.) In this interview she talks about being a dancer and season five and a myriad of other things. How can you help but love her?

To witness Sonya Tayeh is an experience like no other. She's my favorite contemporary jazz choreographer of all time and finding out she loves super heroes? TOTAL BONUS! She didn't begin dancing until she was seventeen or eighteen. I have so much respect for her, its crazy! In this interview she definitely shows just how eloquent and intelligent she is (which is something that unfortunately doesn't always come across in the show.)

Next we come to Stacey Tookey. I can honestly say she's not always my favorite choreographer, but when she does it right, its right. I love anyone who loves ballet as much as I do and knowing she initially wanted to have a career in a classical ballet context? I'm in love, we're done. Hearing about how people find their inspiration has always fascinated me, and I absolutely adore violin as well! This interview is short and sweet but you get to know her just a little bit better after this.

Lastly in my journey to find out more about these lovely ladies, I found this article about how professional dancers, teachers and choreographers feel about the show. I can say I was initially shocked, but now I understand where they're coming from. You can't take an art, turn it into a sport and give dancers a false representation of what the dance community is really about and expect it to always be respected. I can understand why there is never any ballet or hardly any tap on the show, but I hate rarely seeing the ballet dancer on the show. There are plenty of B-boys, contemporary dancers and ballroom phenoms on the show from year to year. That's just my opinion.

What would you like to hear about next? Message me or comment on here! -Ms Ivy

No comments:

Post a Comment