Thursday, March 8, 2012

Little Lovelies


I think sometimes we tend to forget the reason most little girls start dancing. A student of mine helped me remember it today and it genuinely made my evening.

I was working on a duet for competition with some of my little ones (4-6.) The song is step-sister's lament and they are adorably gaudy, (if you can conceive such a thing.) Another one of my students was watching and was in love! She looked up at me, smiled and exclaimed "Ms Ivy you could do a trio instead and I could be Cinderella! Wouldn't a ballerina Cinderella be wonderful? I wish I could dance at the ball like Cinderella! She was lovely."

I stopped and laughed. The rehearsal wan't going as well as I would've liked, my throat was sore, I had a head ache and my girls cup runneth over with choreography so they weren't as quick witted as they normally would have been. I was done. This made me smile. I ended rehearsals and let them go. They didn't have any juice left anyways. When my boss asked me why I wasn't rehearsing their dance that they have to perform in just two days I said "Little girls just want to be pretty. They'll be pretty and that's all that matters today, tomorrow we'll go back to fixing that hot mess of a dance." To my surprise she laughed and agreed. Isn't life funny sometimes?

Little girls come to "Ballerina World" to be lovely and for no other reason than that. It's my job and the responsibility to keep them feeling beautiful and try to squeeze some technical training in there too. I love this age group since they still believe in magic and want to be a part of something bigger than themselves. One day one of my students will look back at this time and either remember having a mean teacher that only yelled at them or a teacher who instilled a love for their art, I aim towards the latter.

Is there a topic you'd like to hear about or discuss with me? Feel free to message me or comment on my blog any time! -Ms Ivy

No comments:

Post a Comment