Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Recital time! pt 2: Lets warm up




Give yourself a good warm up my lovelies! I personally find that sticking to a strict barre, jazz warmup or modern warm up to be a rather inefficient method.

To start, try doing some simple movements with your body to music you enjoy. This step is just to get your blood pumping and your muscles moving. You've never walked into a class and done grande battments right off the bat, now have you?

After I feel I've said a sufficient "Hello!" to my muscles, I usually do breathing exercises, with a light modern combination. Almost like a yoga preparation for your performance. Clear your mind and focus on preparing your lungs for this performance. You need it you know?

This is where my warming up varies depending on my mood, I either head straight to plies or do some hip opening exercises (I'll make a video soon, to demonstrate.) If I'm skipping that particular exercise, I do a good barre: Plies, Tendu's with Degage's, Rond de Jambe's, Frappe's, Develope's and Grande Battments.

Now its time for stretching, my favorite! According to Art of Ballet.com, stretching is individual and personal. Take your time and do it right. I always start in a butterfly, move through a pike into a straddle then start working on the individual legs.

To end our warm up sessions I generally recommend doing Sote's or Tenleve's. (8 in first, 8 in second, 4 in first, 4 in second, 2 in first, 2 in second, 2 in first, 2 in second, Repeat staring in second.)

I'll be converting this to a video log in the future, I just need some volunteers, to help me out. Interested? Facebook me or comment on here, my lovelies! -Ms Ivy

No comments:

Post a Comment